Daves of the Week – First Show.

Daves of the Week – First Show.

We did our first show on Friday 16th Jan and I must say I had a fantastic time.

Let me set the scene for you. I walked to the station an hour before the show started as we wanted to get ready and try and calm down before the show at 9.00pm. This only partially worked. Nothing was going to allay our nerves completely. I arrived. The lights were on and the foyer looked busy. ‘Ooh,’ I thought. ‘They are throwing us a party to celebrate.’ Have I mentioned before I have a slightly overactive imagination?

In fact, it was more awesome than a party. A group of local Scouts were on the show before us taking turns to talk to the presenter about all things Scouty. How cool is that? Seriously, what a great experience to be given. I even heard how to make a fire, which is good as it has been a very long time since I was a Scout so I have no chance of remembering.

Then before we knew it was time to go on air. Our very kindly, patient and helpful Phil reminded us how to operate the controls. I was the pilot for the evening so I was in charge of the little beauty below. I am a bit of a geek at heart but look at the technological wonder of it. So many lights and switches. Oooh!


Fun story. Five minutes before we went live, the computer decided to be funny and re-boot the system. This entailed it having to reload the 28,000 songs on the system. We were told ‘This virtually never happens.’ So I just laughed and thought ‘Lucky us.’ Seriously, it was fine. I am a little bit impressed it didn’t throw us off our game, well, if we had any game to begin with, but I think we managed with admirable English resolve. Stiff upper lip and all that.

I managed not to break the controls or have dead air (Yay me!) and I think I ran the controls smoothly enough. I am being gentle on myself as it was my first time. (That sounds a bit dodgy right?) Anyways, we had a very kind person mention that they could hear us rubbing our hands together when on air. The microphones are very sensitive and this combined with my excessive palm sweat due to nerves (yes, I know, I am a sexy beast) meant that people could hear it. I apologised and sat on my hands.

I also had a very bad back (I still do) so I was kindly given some painkillers. I did feel a bit rock and roll as within twenty minutes of being on air I was popping pills. Paracetamols for a bad back is not exactly Keith Moon drug use, but still…a tiny bit rock and roll? Surely?

The first hour was a bit bitty, but we relaxed more in the second half and things went more smoothly. We even got some people to message us with song requests and comments for our discussion topic, which is not bad for a first show. The time flew by and we were into the last ten minutes of the show.

After the show we even got to record a quick voice over to advertise our show on the station. It took thirty seconds. Seriously, I have said it once and I will say it again. Technology is awesome.

Feeling slightly dehydrated through nervous sweat and excited/relieved the first show being done, we went to a pub across the road for a celebratory pint. Which I think is altogether the correct thing to do.

Our second show is Friday 23rd Jan. Things will really start to ramp up in Feb as we have a few new things for the show and other exciting shenanigans.

You can find out more on our FB page


and while you are there, please feel free to like, share, tell your friends etc.

Take care buddies,



About davidmbeecroft

Hello and welcome to my blog. Please feel free to have an explore. My name is David Beecroft. I am 38 years old. I co-founded and ran a small scale touring theatre company called Screwed & Clued in 1998. I went on to tour the Canadian Fringe Theatre Festival circuit over the following five years. I have written six original plays, the last ‘The Poe Show’ won a Best in Fest award at the 2014 Ottawa Fringe Festival. I worked in a social care setting for ten years and now work in a special needs school. I have sent my first novel off to agents and considering self-publishing if that does not work. I co-host a radio show on Surrey Hills Community Radio called Daves of the Week where we feature charities for a six week period. I live with my fiance and two pet Degus. I started this blog when suffering from depression and attending therapy, so a large part of this blog was about my experience and thoughts of that. Since then I am in a much better place and I write about life after depression and how I stay (or try to) ahead of it happening again. I also like to look at the happier sides of life and try to put a positive spin on serious subjects.

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s